July 28, 2008

Summer Travel

I recently circled Colorado in an RV. We drove down highway 550, supposedly one of the most beautiful drives in America (according to people who create such subjective lists). But it was beautiful. In fact, compared to the desert where I grew up it was amazing. We passed through Montrose, Ouray, Silverton and Durango. We cruised over to Mesa Verde, the almost incomprehensible cliff dwellings of the Southwest.
In south-central Colorado we climbed the Great Dunes, the tallest in North America. All that sand suddenly nestled in the Rockies was a little surreal. Our giant Colorado loop included the Garden of the Gods, downtown Denver, Rocky Mountain National Park and camping at Wal-Mart (is there anything you can’t do at that place?).
But what a summer for travel, eh? When it comes to travel, we tend to think long distance. I’ve never been to Africa and I’ve yet to experience the great European tour. The more I’ve thought about it though, the more I realize how much I’m ignoring the great county right in my backyard.
So, with gas prices rising inexhaustibly and consistently, how have you modified your summer plans? What are some of the nearby landmarks and historical sites you’ve yet to see, despite maybe years of living right beside them?

-Brent

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Colorado is beautiful I agree! I went and sold security systems for Stone Security and was stationed in Denver. But I had the opportunity to see many of the mountains around the area.